Weekend Rugby reports Saturday 9th & Sunday 10th October

Waterpark welcomed West Cork side Clonakilty to Ballinakill on Sunday last and while they expected a tough game it turned out to be an absolutely wonderful battle between two evenly matched sides. This game had everything, some wonderful attacking rugby, followed by some fierce defending all over the pitch, especially by the home side during a fifteen minute spell in the second half when Park were reduced to thirteen men after twenty five minutes with the binning of Robbie Walsh followed a minute later by Willie Walsh. However the home side stood firm and kept Clonakilty at bay to register their first win in this league.
This game turned out to be a marathon with the referee playing fifty minutes in the first half, followed by forty eight minutes in the second half and with the big hits coming thick and fast on both sides, the medics were on constant call throughout the entire game. Park opened the scoring after only five minutes when after receiving a penalty thirty metres out ,they opted for a scrum from which Number eight, Alex Deegan broke and set up out half, Willie Walsh to show some dazzling footwork and glide through the Clonakilty defence to touch down to the left of the posts for Parks first try which he converted himself.7-0 to Park. For the next five minutes the East Cork side were on the offensive and had Park pinned inside their twenty two, but try as they might they were unable to breach a staunch home defence. However on fifteen minutes they were rewarded with a penalty which their out half, Mark Purcell slotted over.7-3 to Park. On the half hour Walsh added to his sides tally with a penalty to restore Parks seven point lead at 10-3 and during injury time a great forward drive by Park from the Clonakilty twentytwo ended with substitute Rory Hannon diving over under the posts for the try which Walsh again converted to leave the halftime score at 17-3 to the home side.
From the start of the second period Park managed to get a grip on the game and within ten minutes we’re awarded a penalty twenty five metres out, but Walsh pushed the kick across the front of the posts. From then until the twenty fifth minute when both Robbie and Willie Walsh received their rest in the bin, the majority of the play was between the two twentytwo metre lines. However the sin binning of two Park players changed matters entirely and the EastCork side threw everything at the Park defence in order to pull the match out of the fire but as already stated to a man they stood firm and the only reward that Clonakilty managed during that time was a try wide out on the left hand side by Purcell. With Park restored to their full quota they regained their focus and kept their line intact until the final whistle and a great win by 17-8 over a very good Clonakilty side.
There will be some sore bodies around during the week but the players can look back on a job well done and a wonderful display of unity throughout the whole squad. Well done guys and onwards and upwards.—————————
Waterpark travelled to Co.Cork on Saturday morning last to take on local side Fermoy in this Munster Conference fixture and produced a wonderful display of all round rugby which had the home side on the back foot for the majority of the game.
Park’s dominance was evident from early on and tries by Andrew Scanlon, Eugene Flynn, Fergal O’Brien and Ben Wallis with two conversions by Wallis left Park ahead by 0 – 24 at half time. Further tries in the second period by Scanlon, Wallis and Zane Dooley-Cullinane and two conversions by Matthew Mullally left the final score at 0 – 43 to the visitors. This was a game where all the squad got game time and was a huge improvement on their recent friendly against Clonmel.
Next up is against Youghal in Ballinakill next Saturday with a 12.00pm Kick Off.
A very enjoyable game of rugby by two committed sides in this local derby played in Ballinakill on Sunday morning last ended with the home side taking the points on a scoreline of 47-10. The visitors started well and had Park under pressure but on ten minutes a tap penalty from inside their own twenty two, followed by some very good handling saw full back Daragh Casey – Power go clear from halfway and in under the posts for Park’s first try which was converted by out half James Comerford. 7-0 to Park.Five minutes later Casey -Power was caught just short of the line and some great support play by winger, Eddie O’Reilly, who picked up and went over in the corner.12-0 to Park. On twenty minutes Waterford cut the gap to 12-3 with a penalty by their out half but Park hit back with a lovely try by Comerford after he split the Waterford defence with a sublime dummy pass and went in under the posts for the try which he converted himself to push the score out to 19-3. This was followed five minutes later by another fine try by centre Jack Power which Comerford again slotted over to leave the score at the break 26-3 to Park.
Into the second period and tries by Rian McDonald and Edward Breen within twenty minutes, which were converted by Comerford put the home side ahead by 40-3. Waterford never gave up and we’re rewarded by a great try which involved both backs and forwards and converted by their out half to cut the deficit to 40-10. Park finished off the scoring on the final whistle when Carl Molloy dotted down for the final try which was converted by Comerford and Park victorious at 47-10
Waterpark RFC 22 v 31 UL Bohemian RFC


Munster Women’s Division 2


Waterpark played host to UL Bohs in their first home game of the season in a sunny Ballinakill on Sunday.
The game began with both teams being quite evenly matched, but Waterpark opened the scoring on 11mintues when they won a penalty inside Bohs 22. A couple of carries from their pack and debutant Alisha Flynn picked the ball of the back of a ruck and powered over, Chole Beukes converted. 7 – 0
Bohs reduced the gap within 3 minutes as Waterpark switched off and a quick penalty was ran in but unconverted. Bohs then took the lead after another quick tap and go left Waterpark flat footed. 7 – 10
Waterpark retook the lead just before half time with a fantastic lineout steal by Rebecca Doyle inside the Bohs half allowed Alisha Flynn to beat two defenders and two phases later she was over for her second try of the game. half time 12 – 10
After a good spell of dominance at the start of the second half an Erika Kiely try made it 17 – 10 and Waterpark looked to be in control. However, Bohs full back Shannon Dawsons showed exceptional pace and her solo try was converted and the sides were level. The experience of some of the Bohs team was starting to show and another try gave them the lead once again, they quickly tacked on another converted try making it 31 – 17. Waterpark reduced the gap to 9 points with a try from Jane “Missy” Rochford, her first for the club but despite spending most of the final 10 minutes inside the Bohs 22, Waterpark could not find another score.
A good performance from a team very much in its infancy.
Waterpark play host to Tipperary Women’s Rugby next week in the first round of the Senior Cup (kick off tbc)Waterpark Scorers
Tries;                              Alisha Flynn (2)
Erika Kiely
Jane (Missy) Rochford
Conversion;               Chole Beukes (1)